My second session using clickers was on Wednesday 4th August 2010 at 11:00
In the session everything seemed to go well (the problems came afterwards – see below).
I used a different colour scheme this time with a darker background and no footers. This meant I could move the text around when creating the slides and also gave me more space within the slide to display the objects.
The template was downloaded from the internet and this was better than the one I was using for my normal slides as it had more practical colours and this is an issue when there are say 6 options and each colour needs to be readable. My template sometimes showed white font on yellow which didn’t show up.
What didn’t work:
My plan was to send around a paper class register and than ask the each student to add their devive ID (which is on a sticker on the back of each clicker).
There were a number of problems with this:
- There were duplicate ID’s listed. Not sure how to prevent this as the students wrote down the ID’s
- I was unable to use the list as I had created the slides with Participant List (Anonymous)
This was the big mistake of the day! I could not link the answers to each student as TurningPoint said the session was anonymous. All I had was data with ID’s from 1 to 83 and no link to my paper list. This was a major problem as I asked questions that I wanted to link back to each students. Like which lab they would prefer etc.
What would I change:
I need to understand how the participant list works in TurningPoint. I need to find out how best to use it and then make sure that I set-up my presentation to always work with participant lists. I think Anonymous should only be used if each student has their own clicker. Anonyous can also be turned on during the presentation on a slide by slide basis if required so I see no real reason why it should be the default. I need to see it I can change the default setting.
- Always set the Participant List at least to (Auto) as this gives you the Device ID
- Leaving it as (Anonymous) means that there is no way you can later add a participant list
- Ideally add a participant list before starting the session
- If you want a truly anonymous session then don’t ask who is using which clicker or make the slide anonymous
- I can only see a use for the (Anonymous) setting if the students have their own clicker or use the same one every time
Things to try:
- Learn how the Real-time Registration Tool works